Letters Avatar allows you to generate automatically user avatar base on their initial letters.
Fully customizable from admin area. You will be able edit avatar settings like shape, background color, etc.
This plugin is compatible with any properly coded theme. However, some plugins may cause conflicts with this one. If you find an issue with your theme please create a post in the community forum.
So far this plugin is compatible with:
* Ultimate Member
* BuddyPress Profile Completion
* YITH WooCommerce Advanced Reviews
* Flyzoo Chat
This plugins has been possible thanks to:
* Jose Luis Chavez – Icons, banners and designs
* ivankuraev – Support for russian characters
You can contribute to this plugin development on Github
- Upload the plugin files to the
/wp-content/plugins/leira-letter-avatardirectory, or install the plugin through the WordPress plugins screen directly.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ screen in WordPress
- Use the Settings->Letter Avatar screen to configure the plugin
- Happy coding 🙂
What is the format of the generated avatars?
You can select from .svg (Recommended), .png and .jpg.
To use .png and .jpg you will need GD image library installed in order to work.
Which format should I use?
The recommended format(.svg) is the best option. This option generates the images with the best quality and the resource required to generate it is very low.
However there are some cases where you will need to user .png or .jpg, for example if you are sending avatar images in your emails.
There is a know issue that email clients like gmail uses a proxy to show the images and at this point does not support .svg format.
How avatars are generated?
The plugin generates the avatar automatically using defined config.
Avatars are generated only once so your site performance wont get affected
How avatars are stored?
Avatars are stored in your uploads folder.
Will I be able to select my own letters?
No. The plugin automatically generates the image with the initial letters of you First name and Last name.
Can I use gravatar if the user has one?
Yes. There is an option in plugins settings that allows you to show user gravatar if available instead of letter avatar.
I see a black background in the avatars
Probably you are using .jpg format to generate a round avatar. This format does not support image transparency.
Use .png format instead.
Contributors & Developers
“Leira Letter Avatar” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“Leira Letter Avatar” has been translated into 4 locales. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Translate “Leira Letter Avatar” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Fix bug with php8 and $size variable (intval)
- WordPress 5.7 compatibility check
- Fix BuddyPress deprecated filter bp_core_avatar_default
- Improve Gravatar image check method
- Fix wpDiscuz issue with social avatars
- WordPress 5.7 compatibility check
- New filter leira_letter_avatar_image_content
- Fix variable typo
- Replace screenshot 4
- Support for WP 4.9
- Change deprecated method get_user_by_email in favor of get_user_by
- Bug fix. Upon deactivation set avatar_default option back to mystery
- Adding support for .png and .jpg image formats
- Fix https avatar url issue
- WordPress 5.6 compatibility check
- Handle other plugins incorrect usage of um_user_avatar_url_filter filter
- Fix random background color generation issue
- Match plugin version with readme.txt version
- Adding Github Actions automatic deploy
- Adding Github Actions automatic update assets and readme file
- Adding support for letters color
- YITH WooCommerce Advanced Reviews compatibility
- Bug fix incorrect avatar size
- BuddyPress compatibility improved
- Ultimate Member compatibility
- wpDiscuz compatibility
- Support for russian characters
- New option to use gravatar if available
- Rate us link in admin area footer
- Some code refactored
- Bug fixes
- BuddyPress integration
- CSS fix in admin area
- Support link updated
- Source code refactored
- Screenshots description updated
- The first plugin release